Sunday, October 07, 2007

Attention, up-and-coming Israeli Graduate Students: WE ARE SCREWED!

One of the most common questions I get asked when I mention my field of study (Contemporary Jewry), aside from "what is that?" is "what are you going to do with that"? To tell the truth I haven't given it much thought. I entered the subject of history because I like it and because I'm good at it. I always figured I could lnd a job at a think tank, teach, do research, or if those don't work, then try translating or editing. Still, I've always wanted to be Prof. Higgins' definition of a happy person - making a living from my "hobby".
Recently I received the equivalent of a sudden dunk in a bucket of ice water. A recent study found that the amount of Israelis with higher education finding work in their chosen fields is quite low. Not only that, but the amount of tenured faculty in Israel has essentially been frozen even though thousands of students graduate with higher degrees every year. This is not even mentioning the tenure process in Israel, an over-beauracratized, top-secret and convoluted matter which can lead to decisions based on, among other things, "academic politics". Needless to say, I am not optimistic about my future, and I am seriously considering a career change if things don't start looking up.
If anyone has any suggestions to improve the situation, I'm all ears.

No comments: