Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Arguing with the close-minded

My Obiter Dicta has an interesting and insightful
post on the merits (or lack thereof) of arguing
with close-minded ideologues and hotheads on the
subject of Judaism. I thought I might share my own
musings on arguments with such people regarding
history - especially the Arab-Israeli conflict.
I come across (and also check up on, perhaps due to
masochistic tendencies) anti-Israel and anti-Jewish
bile on a regular basis. Not a month goes by when
some "expert" doesn't come out with an infuriating
book or article expounding on why it's all our fault.
Whenever this happens, I feel the sudden and natural
urge to rip that guy's argument to shreds.
Indeed, on one occasion I entered into a correspondence
with an anti-Israel professor who justified the equation of
Israel and the Arab states on the basis of the Teddy
Katz/Tantura (see this site for all, and I mean ALL
relevant documentation regarding the subject) affair,
in which an MA student's thesis, which falsely
charged that a massacre had been committed in Tantura
village, was revoked. Needless to say, the argument went
nowhere, with both of us ultimately talking to a wall.
Later on I realized that when you argue, you have
to think about who you're trying to convince. One would
hope that you don't need to convince yourself, and trust
me when I say that there's no point in trying to convince
the hard-cases. Should you decide to debate such folk,
your mission should be to convince the folks who are
undecided on the issue, who have an open mind and
are willing to listen. If this is not a possibility, then I would
recommend following Obiter Dicta's advice at the end of his
post and work toward educating rather than fighting on
to achieve nothing.
Never Lose Hope. AIWAC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. Terrific post. Geviha actually e-mailed me and told me to check it out, since he figured I'd like it, and he was right.

Maria (hatshepsut.blogdrive.com)