Friday, April 29, 2005

Book Recommendation

I'm currently reading a beautiful, touching book entitled "Letters to Talya". The "book" contains the full correspondence between Dov Indig, a Hesdernick from Cerem DeYavneh, and Talya, a secular teenager living on a kibbutz up north, between the years 1971-1973. For those of you who read Rav Haim Sabato's "Adjusting Sights", the character Dov, who is killed on the Golan in the Yom Kippur War, is the aforementioned Dov Indig. The extended correspondence opens up the world of both of the writers, and includes subjects both deep (religion, the Holocaust) and trivial (Bagruyot).
I have not been so touched by a book in a long time - it made me feel optimism at a time when everything seems to be reeking with cynicism. I cannot recommend it enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have recently finished reading this book, and being a boger of KBY, where Dov was a bochur in yeshiva, my heart swells with pride knowing that I learned in the same beit midrash as someone so special. Extremely inspiring and touching story, written with unrestrained honesty and emotion. I drew a lot of inspiration from the book. It comes with my recommendation.